- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Plain Greek yogurt (replaces sour cream)
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small red bell pepper (seeded and sliced into strips)
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 8 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- Cut ripe avocado into chunks and toss in 1 tsp of lime juice. Place all toppings (avocado, salsa, sour cream and cilantro leaves) into separate bowls and place on table.
- Slice up peppers, onions and garlic, toss them in olive oil and set aside until ready to cook.
- Make the chicken rub by combining spices in small bowl and then lightly rub into the chicken until coated on both sides. Heat your grill to medium and grill both sides until cooked through (approximately 8 minutes). Remove from heat, slice, and set on large platter.
- While chicken is cooking, set the pepper and onions on the grill and cook 5-8 minutes (turning once). Remove from heat and set on platter with chicken.
- Place tortillas on the grill for about 5 seconds each side to warm up. Set out on table with other food and guests can assemble their own fajitas.
- This dish does not need to be cooked on the grill. Cook the chicken in the oven and the vegetables in a skillet on the stove-top.
- Use any vegetables you have in the kitchen! Use tomatoes, corn, black beans or even squash! They best thing about fajitas, is there are no rules. You can even use frozen vegetables!
- Let the kids help! Even the young ones can assist by dishing out toppings into bowls or mixing the spices for the chicken rub in a bowl. Have them set the table too!
- Trying to lose weight? Use low carb wraps for the adults and serve the whole wheat tortillas to any children.
In good health,
© Jaime Windrow 2012